Clients and Industries
During his career, Daniel has represented many different institutions, executives and professionals in a wide array of industries. He has served clients in the telecommunications, energy, musical recording, media, high-tech, e-commerce, pharmaceutical and financial services industries.
Practice Areas and Experience
Daniel is a partner with nearly twenty years of experience in handling both civil and criminal matters in the state and federal courts, and representing clients in proceedings before various regulatory bodies, including the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
In civil matters, he has represented companies, executives and professionals in many complex business disputes, including matters involving breaches of contracts, breaches of fiduciary duties, shareholder litigation, trade secret theft and employment issues. He has also represented media organizations, recording companies, high-tech companies and other enterprises in cases implicating First Amendment interests, federal copyright laws and/or e-commerce laws (such as Digital Rights Acts or the Communications Decency Act).
In matters related to government investigations and enforcement actions, he has represented many businesses and individuals in investigations and trials involving allegations of securities violations, health care fraud, bank and mail fraud, bribery, embezzlement and obstruction of justice.
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
Before joining Collora LLP in 1999, Daniel was an associate at Miller, Cassidy, Larroca & Lewin, LLP, in Washington, D.C. He previously served as a law clerk to the Hon. Dolores K. Sloviter of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and to the Hon. Wm. Matthew Byrne, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Central District of California. In 2002-2003, he served as a Special Assistant Federal Defender in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Sample of Results in Practice *
- Obtained mid-trial dismissal of all charges for a business executive charged with participating in an alleged conspiracy to distribute pharmaceuticals over the Internet.
- Obtained preliminary injunction in favor of a national telecommunications company enforcing the terms of its non-competition and non-solicitation agreement.
- Obtained summary judgment for Internet commerce client in lawsuit arising out of alleged defamatory publications on an internet-based message board.
- Achieved summary judgment for national media entity in defense of defamation claims arising out of a national broadcast of a Massachusetts criminal trial.
- Obtained defense verdict in three-month federal court jury trial of pharmaceutical executive accused of conspiracy to violate the federal Anti-Kickback Statute laws.
- Achieved summary judgment for national recording company sued for alleged copyright violations.
- Obtained summary judgment on all counts for consulting company client sued for alleged wrongful termination, breach of contract, and employment discrimination.
- Represented national financial services company in connection with investigations by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and the Massachusetts Division of Securities.
- Represented corporation and executive defendant charged with participating in a multi-million dollar conspiracy to defraud the United States Air Force in connection with the procurement of computer equipment.
- Resolved commercial dispute for a foreign broadcasting entity sued for copyright infringement relating to the broadcasting of U.S. professional athletic contests.
- Resolved commercial dispute on behalf of national media entity that was accused of not complying with an advertising purchase program involving pay-per-click advertising and certain broadcast agreements.
- Represented professionals employed by a mutual fund company and being investigated by the SEC and the Department of Justice for allegedly violating corporate bribery and conflict of interest statutes.
- Represented client involved in litigation in Florida and Massachusetts in connection with anonymous postings on an Internet bulletin board that affected share prices of a public company. Obtained favorable 1st Circuit ruling interpreting the Communications Decency Act.
- Obtained favorable settlement of multi-million dollar lawsuit involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets on behalf of publicly traded software company.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.